Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Purchasing the Cash Cow, Part 1

As some may know, last year just about this time ( june 15th to be exact), I purchased property for the first time in my life.

Recently, some events have taken place, that demand that I review my motives for said purchase. But for anyone not precent at that time to be able to relate to my reasoning, I think that a short jump back in time would be in order.

So, to better be able to explain myself, here follows my recount of those days:



It all started out with my living by myself in Tilst. After Carmen had found a place of her own, I was next in line, and while dorms were available (15km outside of town), something told me that I was no longer going to play the happy serf, serving lien to my lord and master (aka. the landlord).

So I looked around, spoke to real-estate dealers and tried my hand in the time-tested game of equity. Here I quickly learned that while leasing may not the be the best hand to play, purchase demands that you fold in the first round, handing over your trousers on your way out.

Being on a the tight budget of State Educational Support, which amounts to no more than 4618kr a month, nary a monylender would much inclined to lend me his ear, let alone his funds in trust. Or so I had thought.

One day, during a random sweep through my local brick-dealer, I am approached by a female salesperson, asking if I require assistance, to which I reply that I am only browsing. Not to be discouraged by such a simple rebuttle, the woman then politely inquires as to the limitations of my funding (under the guise of better serving me as a customer, of course). Not yet having dared to present my plans to the bank, I simply told her so and was rewarded with a kind smile and an invitation to set up a meeting with their "partner" in finance.

Not one to be sent away without a treat, I asked her what her estimate would be for a student with little income and a sick puppy to nurse at home (sobbing up the story for emotional support). One blink of an eye later (not sure wether it was the puppy love or just the sadness in her heart from having to break apart a sad dreamers hopes), she regretfully informed me that not much brick would be available to a pauper such as myself, and suggested that I try my hand at praying instead...

- And there but for a chance, might have ended all my dreams.

3 Comments:

Blogger Opspin said...

Hello Celian, I find you delightfully amusing :)

5:00 AM  
Blogger Opspin said...

But seriously, this was great reading, funny and captivating, I got to make mine even better to keep up

5:02 AM  
Blogger Opspin said...

Already looking forward to part 2

10:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home